My Family Scrapbook

Monday, January 23, 2012

Small Town Stores

I've always loved the small town stores that carry hand made items. My sister used to have one such store. I loved making things for her store. It was a way for me to make a few extra dollars and just share those fun things I would make. I would crochet baby sweater sets and afghans, fillet crochet name frames, make wooden items, custom framed wedding invitations and many other handmade items. It never crossed my mind to do paper items.

Two weeks ago I was approached about making banners for a small store in a neighboring community, Grafton, IL. The boutique owner showed me a couple of photos of banner that she liked and asked me if I could make something similar.

These banners are all over the Internet. They are being sold on various sites and some are all hand-crafted while others are cut triangles with computer generated letters attached. Either way I thought long and hard about doing these banners as I am a busy working mother and wife with very little time to craft the things I want to make but I decided to give this a try.

The first banner that the owner wanted was a "Happy Valentine's Day" banner done in traditional red and pinks.

I am anything but traditional about pure red and pink for Valentine's day. I am a "dirty" scrapbooker. I don't mean that the way it sounded... I am honest about if something is scrap-lifted or where the inspiration for an idea comes from. What I mean by "dirty" is that I ink almost everything. I can't help myself. I like it when things look "dirty." I also love muted colors and a mix of colors that has nothing to do with a theme. I like mismatched patterns but also don't like it when patterns and colors clash.

Here is what I came up with for the "Happy Valentine's Day" banner that is now hanging and for sale in the Pixie Stix in Grafton, IL.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

I don't think that making these banners will turn into a full time money maker but I am doing custom orders for the store owner and making other holiday banners as the holiday arises.

Sometimes an opportunity will present itself and unless you give it a try you will always ask "what if" ... be bold, be willing to try something new, and be willing to share your craft.

Happy Scrappin' ! ! !

Brenda

No comments: